Like most african women i believed that african hair could not grow beyond shoulder length. And if it did grow longer then one had to be mixed or from some parts of East africa like Ethiopia or African american.
But thank God for the internet which gave me the opportunity to find hair care forums for women with african hair. I learnt that black women from all over the world with afro textured hair had the same challenges with their hair and Many of them managed to grow their hair long just by taking better care for it and it worked. I decided to do the same and i have to say that taking better care of my hair has made all the difference.
- Washing and deep conditioning weekly
- Use sulfate free shampoos
- Using only a wide toothed comb ( I never use a small toothed comb on my hair not even after blow drying or flat ironing)
- Use heat only once or twice in three months ( blow dry/ Flat iron)
- Moiturise and seal hair daily or if need be.
- Cover hair with a satin scarf at night
- Use protective styles. I bun 90% of the time.
- Avoid mineral oil based products.
- Air dry 90% of the time after washes.
- If you relax then stretch the relaxers at least every three months and do not relax already relaxed hair!!!
- Be patient growing hair takes time.
- Get to know your own hair because no one can care for it better than you! not even your hair stylist.