Inspiration corner with Aphro.

April 14, 2012

Hello there ladies here is some more hair inspiration for you. Aphro comes from Zimbabwe and lives in Australia. read below to find out more about how she cares for her african tresses.

1.      Are you relaxed or Natural?|
                Relaxed

2.      What is your hair type? Describe your curl pattern
                I'm 4a hair type

3.      What was your starting length and what is your current one?   And   what inspired you to start a HHJ and when was it?
                I didn’t start with the notion that I wanted to grow my hair. I just wanted to have healthy hair, and I quickly realised that healthy hair is hair that grows. My current hair length is at Bra Strap Length, and I can say I started being purposeful with my hair journey when I was at neck length.
 The beginning at Neck length.

6.      How easy was getting into a regimen, knowing the right products etc? what´s your regimen?
I started with the very famous Castor Oil Challenge. For me it was really easy, as I substituted the products I was using at the time, with products that now work for my hair. I was so excited about the Castor Oil challenge and its results that I wanted to go the extra mile. My current regimen is called the Back 2 Health challenge. It basically takes care of my scalp, actual hair and the ends (which are the most sensitive). This simple regime has seen my hair grow from shoulder to bra strap in just 12 months. When you take care of your hair, it takes care of you. J
To find out more about the specifics of the Back 2 Health challenge, check it out on www.phrophro.com/bth

7.      Is this ‘regimen thing’ complicated?
I think it’s the simplest thing. The reason I say that is it truly just fits into my busy life style and the results are noticeable almost immediately. Because of that huge impact on my hair without sacrificing time, I’ve continued with this regime and my hair and scalp loves me for it.


8.      How soon into your HHJ did you start seeing results?
Almost immediately. For me it wasn’t about gaining length, it was important for me to have healthy hair. I often see women with long hair, but it just looks lifeless and is riddled with split ends. I wanted to make sure that whatever length I had my hair at; it was the healthiest it could be.







9.      How long has it taken you to reach your current length?
Well, my hair grew from shoulder length to bra strap length in 12 months.

10.  Do you think what you achieved would be possible without learning the Proper techniques necessary to grow African hair long?
No ... I can honestly say that. I mean, I believe that from birth, we’re all on a hair journey of some sort. Most of us fail at it, cause we do things that damage not only our hair, but the scalp from which the hair grows out of. We tug at it, pull it, stress it out and wonder why it doesn’t grow. The fact that I have increased understanding on just how delicate African hair actually is has truly empowered me to make the right decisions about how I take care of my hair.


11.  Do you believe anyone who adapts the correct techniques can grow fabulous hair or is there such a thing as bad hair?
 -YES – Healthy hair is hair that grows. Ordinarily I would have thought that my fine hair couldn’t grow past a certain length, but I have and continue to debunk the myth that black hair just can’t grow.
The whole ‘bad hair’ debate is so sad. I believe that centuries of colonisation (for African nations) and slavery (that has affected so many African Americans) and the continuation of a controlled definition of beauty has made us believe that our African tight curls are bad hair. On the contrary, our hair is versatile, delicate and the women that wear it are walking art forms. If we start owning who we are as African women and accepting our features, the world will accept that there is beauty in all hair types.


12.  How many people have been inspired by the length you have gained and decided to start a HHJ?
Wow! That’s a great question! I’d love to know the number myself. As a strong advocate for our hair type and a naturally vocal person, I hope that the word is getting around that Phro will help anyone that will get on board and support their journey to get their hair healthy!


13.  What is the most heart-felt advice you would give to other African ladies thinking about but not so sure about starting a HHJ?
Taking care of your hair and understanding how to do it is just as important as understanding your skin type and tailoring a skin care routine to ensure it’s always healthy. Those small actions that you do daily and weekly to maintain a fresh beautiful supple face can also be applied to hair and you will see a result.


14.  What would you advice a Newbie NOT to do?
Don’t be discouraged. It’s a lot to take in, but there are a lot of women on a hair journey who will support you. It’s your hair, you will never have different hair, and so you may as well introduce yourself to your hair and start taking care of it.


15.  So are you hoping to grow your hair to ankle length? what are your short term and long term goals?
LOL ... that’s a very funny question. Short terms goals for me are to get my hair levelled at Bra Strap. In the long term, I see myself slowly transitioning into texlaxing and potentially going natural. As I grow on this hair journey and start to appreciate how natural products have transformed my hair, I’m tempted to go all natural at some stage. But that’s a looooong way away ... I’m doing as much research as possible in the mean time.
 Thank you for sharing Aphro.

You Might Also Like

0 comments