Gahlspiration corner with Justscovia

November 16, 2017

Today the gorgeous Scovia of Justscovia  is sharing her hair journey with us. Pick up your notebook and pick up a few tips from her. Gahl hopes this feature will inspire you to take better care of your own hair. Thank you Scovia

  • Have you always been natural? If not what made you go natural?
I had natural hair since I was young then had to relax it when joining high school. I went natural hair again in July 2016. My relaxed hair was not doing that well and was breaking a lot. A friend of mine who was natural too encouraged me to go natural through her hair journey so on the 7TH July 2016 I just went home and asked my mom to cut my hair.  
  • Your hair always looks so healthy, are you on a healthy hair journey? What inspired you to start one?
Yes. I am on a healthy hair journey. Once I cut my hair, I started going through natural hair blogs just to find out how best I could take better care of my hair. I didn’t want my big chop to be in vain. I mean what would be the need of cutting my hair if I continued with the same ‘bad’ hair practices?

  • Do you have a hair routine? How easy was it getting into a regimen, knowing the right products etc?
I have a simple hair routine. I’m naturally a very dedicated person when it comes to the stuff I love and have committed to. So once I decided I wanted to grow healthy hair that was all the motivation I needed. I have my lazy days too though.  I have a friend of mine who is a natural hair blogger too and has a hair type close to mine so I asked her what products she uses and adopted it. I have made a few changes with regards to products though. Not everything that works for her works for me.

  • How do you fit hair care into your busy lifestyle?
I wash my hair every fortnight. My Sunday afternoons are dedicated to either washing or styling my hair for the next week. I moisturise my hair every other day before going to work and oil my hair at least twice a week before going to bed. I’ve learnt to incorporate my hair routine into my rather busy schedule.

  • Do you believe in such a thing as bad hair? Do you believe that African/ black women have good hair?
I do not think there is anyone with bad hair out there. African hair is so beautiful and super versatile. African women just need to accept whatever texture they are born with, take time to understand their hair and give their hair a lot of TLC.
  • What have you learnt about healthy hair care that you would love to share with African women, especially those who want to start a natural hair journey?
You need to be patient with your hair. Sometimes  blow drying your hair would seem like the easier/faster way out but probably staying up late twisting your hair will do your hair more good. Also take time to learn your hair, stick to your routine and love your hair just the way it is; then you will see progress and improvement in health.

  • What goals do you have for your hair?
I am definitely a length chaser and hope to have waist length hair by the time my hair turns 5 years but not on the expense of its health of course. If it doesn’t get to that length at least something close to it.

  • Do you do your own hair? What is your favourite natural hairstyle and why?
I’ve learnt to do my own hair and you will find me mostly with a twist out. I do Bantu knot outs or perm rod set when feeling extra.
  • ·  Do you have any challenges being natural?

Detangling gets tougher and tougher as my hair grows. But I have devised ways of making the whole process a lot easier. Like my homemade detangling mix which reduces shedding, watching a movie as I detangle etc.


  • Did you always believe that you could grow a huge Afro? What changed your mind?
No not really. I actually did not think i had the volume for it but once I cut my hair I had no option but to rock a TWA which surprisingly looked good. 

  • Is there a product you can’t live without?
Yes, coconut oil. It solves most of my hair problems.

  • Do you think natural hair is expensive to keep?
It can be if you are a product junky but if you know your basics in terms of products ie sulphate free shampoo, conditioner, protein treatment and DC, leave in treatment, an essential oil and butter. You can cut down on the cash spent on hair products. 

Follow Justscovia´s Blog and Instagram. 














You Might Also Like

1 comments