Inspiration corner with Joyce of hairjunkie2011

February 24, 2014



This is Gahl's First Hair Inspiration feature for 2014!
ladies meet Joyce of the blog Hairjunkie2011  

Apart from having gorgeous hair, Joyce is a passionate blogger who shares a lot about all she does to her hair on her Blog. I have literally watched Joyce’s hair grow longer and longer over the last two years since she joined our website. Ladies she is a true inspiration and her story just shows how possible it is to grow African hair healthier and longer whether relaxed or natural. Her hair looks beautiful and healthy. 
If you would like to find out more about her Hair please visit her blog or view her profile on the Gahl website
If you have missed out on older Hair inspiration features please click Here to find them


1. Are you relaxed or Natural?
Relaxed. Been relaxed for 2 years 8 days today - since 16th February 2012. Yep, I remember the date :D


2. What is your hair type? Describe your curl pattern.
I have type 3c/4a hair...or so I've been told. Am not too keen on hair typing. In some places my hair has curls/coils and in others it takes on an s-shape/wave.


3. What was your starting length and what is your current one? And what inspired you to start a Healthy Hair Journey (HHJ) and when was it?
I started my healthy hair journey on the 1st of November 2011 with  collar-bone/shoulder length hair. Right now am at full APL. I believe I was a BSL before trimming my hair a week ago.
What inspired me? I had been trying to restore the health of my hair well before I discovered the 'hair journey world'. When I saw black women growing long healthy hair, I decided to kick things up a notch and start a hair journey.




4. How easy was getting into a regimen, knowing the right products etc? what´s your regimen?
I'd say it was easy for me because earlier that year (2011) I had already started doing my own hair at home (i just wasn't serious about it). Come November, i knew which products i would need on my hj. I had also done a lot of research on healthy hair care so that came in handy.
As for my hair regimen, it changes quite often depending on my lifestyle at the time. I try to keep it simple though. Currently, i moisturize and seal my hair daily. Once a week I do an oil prepoo (A before shampoo treatment), a shampoo wash and a deep conditioning treatment. Once a month I do a henna treatment. I self-relax my hair every 3-4 months. I also cowash my hair as needed (because I workout and need to get rid of all the sweat buildup thereby refreshing my scalp and hair).


5. Is this ‘regimen thing’ complicated?
No. It shouldn't be. Just find products that work great for you, set aside some time to do your hair and follow a working regimen. Don't do too much. And be consistent!

6. How soon into your Healthy Hair Journey (HHJ) did you start seeing results?
2 months into my hair journey I noticed that my new growth was coming in differently (use of oils I guess). As stated earlier, I had been taking care of my hair prior to my hair journey so there wasn't much difference in health. 6 months in, I noticed significant length retention and thickness.

7. How long has it taken you to reach your current length?
2 years 4 months, with 4 trims in between. During my last trim I clipped off more hair than usual. 


8.  Do you think what you achieved would be possible without learning the Proper techniques necessary to grow African hair long?
No. Before I learnt about healthy hair care, I never used to deep condition my hair, or do oil prepoos, trims, henna/protein treatments, detangle gently, use heat protectant,...all that. There was even a time I used to shampoo daily!

9.  Do you believe anyone who adapts the correct techniques can grow fabulous hair or is there such a thing as bad hair?
Everyone can grow healthy hair if they choose to, unless of course they have a medical condition hindering that or something of the sort. There is no such thing as bad hair, you just need to understand YOUR hair and know what it needs.

10.  How many people have been inspired by the length you have gained and decided to start a Healthy Hair Journey (HHJ)?
I don't have a definite number :) i have received a few emails and comments on my blog from people who have been inspired by the progress I've made. 

11.  What is the most heart-felt advice you would give to other African ladies thinking about but not so sure about starting a Healthy Hair Journey (HHJ)?
Go for it and discover your hairs' potential! Everybody's hair is different so just be patient and follow a working regimen consistently and you will be amazed by the results. You don't even need to spend a lot of money on products - expensive doesn't always mean better. It doesn't matter if your hair is natural, texlaxed, relaxed, colour-treated...it can grow to be healthy and long if that's what you want. You just have to put in the work.

12. What would you advice a Newbie NOT to do?
Don't focus too much on getting long hair. Get it healthy first and the length will surely follow. Remember, health over length. And you really don't need to be popping pills and using all sorts of hair growth aids (in my opinion). Keep it simple, sounds clichè but it works!
13.  So are you hoping to grow your hair to ankle length? what are your short term and long term goals?
Ankle length? No way :) My short term goal is full BSL (Bra strap length) by the end of this year (2014)
I plan to grow my hair to waist-length (WL) though am not entirely sure I'll want to keep it at that length. Who knows? We'll see when the time comes.

Thank you for the interview Joyce, we wish you all the best in your healthy hair journey! 
 
 
 

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Outstanding information you have shared. Keep sharing. I am glad that I visited your post. Good Work!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A healthy diet is also a responsible for a healthy hairs if your diet is not good it is also cause of hair loss. Majitrich is also a good hair loss product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. High quality and healthy products play very vital role to protect and maintain your hair from damage. Permanent Lip Makeup Melbourne

    ReplyDelete